Saturday, April 14, 2007

Novels that changed me

God Father

Well, everyone knows about this movie. The movie really did justice to the book. I got the book from Raja Rajeswari mall in kovai and started reading at 6 AM next morning. I just wanted to see what the book was about before leaving for college. But, I didn't leave my bed till I finished the book. It was 3:00 PM in the evening. I forgot to brush, coffee, breakfast, lunch and also college.

I was puzzled how my uncle let me stay home and not go to college. That night I got the answer. He told me that after seeing me reading God Father he didn't want to disturb. You have to know my uncle to realize the enormity of this sentence. He is a strict disciplinarian. He also adviced me to remember that god father is just a ficton and not to get into trouble in coming days. I didn't realize what he meant at that time. In the next couple of weeks, unconsciouly, I was trying to emulate Michael Corleone. To cut the story shot, my attempts to emulate God Father resulted in Semester Debar. I was not allowed to attend the 4th Semester. My 4th sem marksheet has 'Absent' next to all courses.

I still dream about being 'Michael Corleone'

To Kill a Mocking Bird

This novel totally changed my views on this world. Its been more than 7 or 8 years since I have read this novel. But I can still feel the impact it made on me. If I can be 10% of Atticus Finch (the novels hero), then I know I have done something worthful with my life.

The novel is told from the view of Atticus daughter, Scout. At one time in the novel, a group red neck American's will surround Atticus and ask him not to interfere with their business with Tom (a black who is being charged with rape - He is the Mocking Bird in this novel). This incident happens in the mid of the night. Atticus children, Scout and Jem, were not supposed to be out there that night. Scout thinks if they are caught they will be grounded. But once Jem(Scout's brother) sees his father in that situation he goes and stands by him. Atticus asks Jem to go home. Jem for the first time in his life disobeys his father and refuses to leave. Scout is worried that her brother might be in big trouble once their father comes home.

Then the villagers leave Atticus alone and they all come home. Scout is expecting her father to reprimand her brother. But instead of grounding Jem, Atticus puts his hand on his sons head and looks at him in a very loving way. Scout being young, can't understand this scene.

But we can understand. Jem, just a small kid, knew his father was in trouble and refuses to leave his side. His act deeply touched his father and thats why he was looking at him that way.

While reading this, I was able to relate to this incident. Me and my father was driving back home from school and we were involved in a very minor accident. There were 4 guys in the other car against my father. Things got heated and I was scared that they might hit my father. So, I took a big rock from the ground and threatened them. I was foul mouthing them. Called them with all bad names I knew. If my mom heard those words, I would have been given for adoption right away. After seeing my craziness, they backed off. After the initial shock, I realised what I have done. Once my father thrashed me with his belt for just using the word 'Mayiru'. Now, I was really scared. All I could think was the feel of my fathers belt. After a couple of minutes, I worked up my confidence and took a peep at my father's face. Thats when I saw him smiling. I know right away things were going to be allright

In my view, Atticus Finch is the perfect Gentleman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ideal hero would be a cross between Atticus Finch and Michael Corleone.

18 comments:

ACE !! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ACE !! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ACE !! said...

Yep buddy.. Godfather is one of the ultimate book... i have read it more than 10 times.. the strategy to dominate at the end is amazing..

I never got a chance read the other one.. will see if i could get my hands on it soon :) :)

ACE !! said...

Also, there are sequels and a story about Michael Corleons life in scicily, when he goes to hide after killing the cop McKenzie..

They are no where near this one, but worth a glance when bored.

ACE !! said...

//My ideal hero would be a cross between Atticus Finch and Michael Corleone//

Ha ha :) :) but u acted like both these characters at some point in your life.. (technically not as Finch but Jem)

Wyvern said...

//Godfather is one of the ultimate book... i have read it more than 10 times.. //

ACE, I feel you man. Only people who have read God father can feel it.

u have read Godfather more than me. I couldn't read it again. I was all worked up after reading it the first time. Couldn't bring myself to read it again.

Sometimes I wonder, these books also helped in shaping America's Men. I think these kind of books gave them a strong perspective in life...Strengthened their character...too bad we don't have these kind of books in Tamil...May be they do exist and I just don't know

ACE !! said...

//too bad we don't have these kind of books in Tamil...May be they do exist and I just don't know
//

The best book i read in tamil is ponniyin selvan and sivagamiyin sabatham...

They also talk about strategies, cunnnigness, etc etc..

Try if you havent read them.. the later is a tragic story..

gils said...

same blud...like ace said...ponniyin selvan is a must read...overa hype panrangalonu thonum..if u'vent read..but believe me..i dint wanted the book to end...dhinamum..konjam konjama padichen..i can infact feel the riders on horses around me at tht time..soober story n well written

Wyvern said...

ACE and Gils, I did read 'Ponniyin selvan' twice. After my 12th entrance exam, my 'ethir veetu aunty' gave me all five parts to read.

I loved it the first time and was fascinated by the names 'peruvettaiyar' 'vandyadevan' etc.

But, when I read it for the second time during 2004, I had questions. I was able to find holes in the plot in respect to Nandini character.

Then my fascinaton for Kalki reduced. I was fascinated by vandyadevan and co, but those characters never made a profound impact on my thinking process. Vito corleone and his youngest son and atticus thought me some valuable lessons .

Vandyadevan only asked me to push some innocous looking stone and if u are lucky, it will be a secret door for escape.

Sorry for saying negative about your fav novels. Hope you are not offended. If you are, my sincere apologies

Wyvern said...

//i can infact feel the riders on horses around me at tht time//

I know. I have felt it too while reading kalki and sandilyan. I also felt after watching first season DVD collection of 'ROME'(HBO series).

I read first 4 books of Harry potter in one week. I was using my pen as a wand to open doors and switch on lights. It was crazy.

mgnithi said...

Hey .. came here through ACE's blog...

Have Read godfather.. Naan recenta thaan ponniyin selvan padichen...

I was in Desmoines ,Iowa too till last year.

Sat said...

Godfather and To kill a mocking bird are 2 iconic books...and movies as well. frankly i prefer movies because difficult to tie me down with a book...very slow reader you see...but these 2 and the recent Shantaram were the only exceptions to this 'rule' :D

Atticus Finch is one of the best characters to have ever been portrayed on the screen...the ideal father...

Sat said...

Gils & Wyvern;
//i can infact feel the riders on horses around me at tht time//
hehehe...dont know if its because of the mention of horses and riders, but that kind of thrill grips me when i watch 2 sequences in the LORT trilogy...the sequence when Gandalf and Eomer's men ride down int he battle at helms deep in the second part's climax...and the final battle scene in the third part where the riders of Rohan come to the rescue of Gondor. Visual yes, so may be it's easily achieved than in a book but the camera angles and the swell of the theme music makes this overwhelming...okie...i'll stop coz I can go on and on When it comes to LORT :)

Wyvern said...

vanga mgnithi...welcome to the stupidest blog in the middle world

sat reminded me of lotr...thats why 'middle world'

//I was in Desmoines ,Iowa too till last year. //

did u like that place...for me that city was so colorless...Ames and iowa city was much better

Wyvern said...

//so may be it's easily achieved than in a book but the camera angles and the swell of the theme music makes this overwhelming.//

can't put it better than that

sat, the Book was tough to read. Tolkien had written it in old english. I bought the book at a airport and left it there itself

Sat said...

//I bought the book at a airport and left it there itself
//
LOL!!!
wyvern, ditto...me tried to read that book, god was it descriptive...my over enthu friend piled all 3 volumes in my room....i started with the second part...i know...nai kadicha maari nadulendhu :D
appadiyum mudiala...after a week's painful reading i realised i had just read until the first 5 minutes of the movie...mudila...next day all 3 books were back in the library...but still crazy about the movie...

gils said...

ditto on nandini part...till d end suspense vaikarenu solamalay ututar..me lite kovam with kalki..paatha kekanum..nandini enna aananu :D u 2 like HP series...intha sat kita foto keten..shootinga pathu fotolam pudichirukanga.inum anupala...enaku intha mari magical stories..fairy taleslam romba pudikum.i got all dvds of the HP movies..hardbound books n sofcopies of all the parts..eagerly awaiting jul17th for final version...yar savanganu oru competiionay nadakuthu...LORT movie..WOW....chancela.enna oru imagination..wen i read tt book...i needed all my will power to finish part one..parttwo was ok...part three semma fast.i ran along side the elf n dwarf..antha O namd arakkans per maranthu poachu...avangalma epdi irukumnu imaginelam pani vachirunhen...padam patha chancela..ipo book padichapadam haan heiryuthu..u can imagine the characters

gils said...

po.selvan was the slowest book i read...chew panni saapdra mari konjam konjma rasichi padichathu...chancela..ena tamizhay konja naliku marichidchi